Achieving Success in Advertising Agency Account Coordination
Success is a much over-used term. Many people claim they have what it takes to succeed, but do they really? In the advertising industry where everything was due yesterday, there are certain key characteristics that are vital, not only for survival, but to exceed expectations.
How does someone avoid mediocrity in this fast-paced arena? These essential habits in the world of an account executive will pay dividends – literally.
- Learn to listen. Listen to your clients, your creative team, your assistants, your peers, your neighbors…the list goes on. Fresh ideas come from those you are surrounded by on a day-to-day basis and oftentimes, that brilliant idea you have been waiting for can shine through at the most unexpected moments. And isn’t that a core reason why a client comes to an agency? They want inspiring and impactful ideas. Listening will take you far.
- Be aware of others’ fears. Those of us with a strong emotional IQ, know it is important to gage others emotions, motivations and fears. Depending on their personality type, those you work with may fear loss of control, making an error, etc. Keep this in mind at all times, as this can significantly improve your work environment.
- Go above and beyond. Meeting a client’s expectations will make you forgettable, exceeding expectations makes you unforgettable. Do not expect to continue a partnership with a client if you have not surprised them and energized their marketing efforts over the course of your relationship.
- Read. There is a wealth of information at our disposal. Do not let it go to waste. Take time out of your day to pull an intriguing article. It can open your eyes to something new, adds to your repertoire of knowledge and maintains your pulse on global events. It is easy to allow the daily demands to distract you, but remember, next time you are in a brainstorming session, you want to be able to bring something to the table. In fact, keep an “ideas folder” for such instances.
- Just do it. Some think it is suffice to talk about everything and have laundry lists of what they will do, but actions always speak louder than words. Look at your list; take the first item on the top and dive into it. Once you get started, you will find things will begin to flow. Who knows you might produce your masterpiece of the day…even your career.
Weave these into your business day and you will be on the road to success. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.