Breaking Through with Breakthrough Products
You may be introducing a breakthrough product at your industry’s major trade show – a product that represents an industry and/or technological “first” destined to change the face of the industry. But be sure your advertising and marketing effectively positions your product so that its significance is clear, or it could get lost among the tens of thousands of other products being unveiled.
At the shows:
- Give the product prominent booth real estate. Place it at the focal point of the booth, providing enough “space” around the display so it stands apart. A separate stand with signage behind and/or above will draw additional attention.
- Instruct booth personnel to steer visitors to the product, describe it and supply sell sheets and other collateral.
- Schedule a press conference to introduce the product. You’ll have most of the industry’s major reporters in one place at the same time – an advantage in conveying the product’s importance and ensuring that those who want products for review will receive them quickly.
In print ads:
- Introduce the product with its own campaign – if it has the same look as your usual branding ad, your target audience may not realize it’s a breakthrough product.
- Describe what makes the product a breakthrough in straightforward terms. What problem does it solve? What does it make possible that no previous product has made possible?
On your website:
- Put the product on the Home page and treat it like the major event that it is – big picture, big headline and big excitement. Include links to media coverage. Hold a contest to take consumer buzz and demand to the next level.